(COLUMBUS, Ohio) -- Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine today announced the members of an advisory group formed to review the existing protocols and safeguards currently in place to prevent abuse of the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway (OHLEG), which is Ohio’s secure Web-based law enforcement platform that includes electronic tools, databases, and other applications that help law enforcement solve and prevent crimes.
The group was formed after a facial recognition tool was added to OHLEG, which allows law enforcement to compare photographs of suspects or unidentified victims to a database of existing photos that include criminal mug shots, state identification photos, and Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) photos.
"We want this advisory group to review the safeguards that are already in place and determine if they should be revised, not only for the use of the facial recognition technology, but also for the use of OHLEG as a whole," said Attorney General DeWine.
Misuse of OHLEG by law enforcement personnel is already a felony offense.
Members of the advisory group include:
• Yvette McGee Brown, Former Justice Ohio Supreme Court
• Eve Stratton, Former Justice Ohio Supreme Court
• James Stevenson, Shelby County Common Pleas Judge
• Jan Long, Pickaway County Juvenile Judge
• David Phillips, Union County Prosecutor
• Dan Jones, Ohio Public Defenders’ Administrative Counsel
• Phil Stamitti, Lorain County Sheriff
• Steve Robinette, Grove City Chief of Police
• Dr. Kent Harshbarger, Montgomery County Coroner
“This is a respected group of criminal justice professionals. They are real pros,” said DeWine. “We want them to review current safeguards and determine if any more need to be added.”
The first meeting of the OHLEG Advisory Group will be held Tuesday, September 10, 2013, with a time and location to be announced closer to the date.
All meetings will be open to the public.
Attorney General DeWine has requested that the group develop their recommendations by October 25, 2013.
Lisa Hackley: 614-466-3840
Jill Del Greco: 614-466-3840