Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ > Collections - Tax FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions



How can I cancel my vendor’s license?
In order for the license to be cancelled, we need a letter containing your vendor’s license number; name of business or name of person on the license; actual last day of operation (month, day, year); and notary seal.

I sent information to the Department of Taxation. Why do I have to send it to the Attorney General?
The Attorney General requests copies of information sent to the Department of Taxation in order to justify ceasing collection efforts until the Department of Taxation has made a determination.

Why are the penalties so high?
Penalties are set in conjunction with the Ohio Revised Code. A penalty abatement may be requested. However, during the abatement request process, interest does continue to accrue.

Why do I have to file tax returns online?
The Ohio Department of Taxation requires all vendors to file electronically. For business owners, this cuts down on paperwork and postage costs. For state government, electronic filing saves processing costs and taxpayer dollars. Taxpayers may file electronically on Ohio Business Gateway or they may TeleFile at 1-800-697-0440.

Why do I owe penalty for a $0.00 tax return?
The Ohio Revised Code requires that anyone with an open vendor’s license in the state of Ohio is required to file timely. If returns are not filed timely, the law allows for the collection of penalties and interest. An additional charge up to $50 or 10 percent of the tax required to be paid, whichever is greater, may be levied on every tax return not filed on time and/or when the tax liability is not paid in full.

Why is my tax refund being offset?
Your federal and/or state refunds are subject to offset when it is determined a tax debt is owed and has been turned over to the Attorney General for collection.

Why wasn’t I notified by the Department of Taxation about this debt?
The Ohio Department of Taxation sent you a certified letter advising that the debt would be turned over to the Attorney General if not resolved within 60 days from the date of the letter. You may contact the Department of Taxation and they will advise you who signed for the mail.