Subject Control, Defensive Tactics, and Self-Defense topics are covered in most of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) basic programs. For the Peace Officer Basic Training (POBT) and Private Security (PSA) programs, there were significant changes to the OPOTC student performance objectives, lesson plans, and proficiency testing procedures within this topic. Similar changes will be taking place in the Corrections and Jailer programs. These changes and others, will be covered in a mandatory instructor update that must be completed before July 1, 2013. This course, Subject Control Instructor Update, fulfills the update requirement for all instructors, regardless of the program they are teaching in. For example, if you are certified to teach Subject Control in POBT, Subject Control in Corrections, and Unarmed Self Defense in PSA, attending one Subject Control Instructor Update course will fulfill your update requirement for all three programs.
If you are currently approved for your program’s Subject Control topic, you may continue to teach the new topic. Once you complete the instructor update, you must submit an amendment for each of your instructor certifications. If you do not complete the required update before July 1, 2013 you will no longer be eligible to teach this topic.
To assist in meeting the required instructor update, one to two classes will be scheduled each month through 2012. The following are a few of the scheduled Subject Control Instructor Update courses to be held:
• July 25 & 26, 2012, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Cuyahoga Community College
o Registration required – course number 06-458-12-19
• August 06 & 07, 2012, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Great Oaks Police Academy
o Registration required – course number 06-458-12-15
• September 18 & 19, 2012, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., OPOTA, London
o Registration required – course number 06-458-12-03
• October 01 & 02, 2012, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., OPOTA, London
o Registration required – course number 06-458-12-11
• November 19 & 20, 2012, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., OPOTA, Richfield
o Registration required – course number 56-458-12-01
• December 4 & 5, 2012, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., OPOTA, London
o Registration required – course number 06-458-12-04
• Registration form available at http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/OPOTA
• All course listings and information can be found in the on-line Course Catalog, available at http://ohioattorneygeneral.gov/OPOTACourses
As always, please contact your assigned Certification or Compliance Officer with any questions about these changes. You may also contact the Education and Policy Section, at 740-845-2700, for any specific curriculum questions.
Robert Fiatal, Executive Director
Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine
PHONE (740) 845-2757
1650 SR 56 SW
London, Ohio 43140